Wednesday, March 31, 2010

It's Been A While...

I know, I know. I only update my blog like once a year. Well, for the two people who actually do check my blog, this one goes out to you! :) I have been doing a lot of schooling and working as of late, nothing too exciting. However, I am taking one class which strikes a particular fancy with me, my advanced writing class. I am being inspired to take more of my personal time to just write. About anything really. I am reading a lovely book entitled "Writing Down the Bones" which talks about how it is beneficial to write with a pen and paper because it connects you more to the flow and rhythm of your writing and connecting with the page, but I like typing just fine. So, maybe I will try practicing my writing more on my blog.

I have always been intrigued that people use their blog as more than just a picture spot. That is sort of all I have ever thought blogs were for, but I rather like the idea of using it for more. Writing about something interesting, something that will get people's blood pumping... what does that even mean? I have a hard time believing there is anything I could write about that people would be interested in, but I suppose that is just the point. Writing is recording detailed accounts of your life, your perspective, your knowledge. It is about digging past the surface, past the generic obvious points and getting down to the nitty gritty. (Every time I use that phrase I think of Nacho Libre.)

People always gripe about the snow. They complain that it's too wet, too cold, or too deep. I am included in this party. But today, instead of looking outside and getting grumpy when I beheld the frozen fluff falling from the heavens, I decided to be happy about it instead. I remembered that I was sad about not being able to wear my purple Uggs more because spring was here, but now I have another chance to wear them! And so I designed my whole outfit around my purple Uggs. And it made life more enjoyable. I have always liked to think of myself as someone who doesn't spend too much energy or time on appearance. I once gave an entire lecture about how clothes are merely designed to cover up body parts, so we should not become obsessed with them. But then one day I looked in my closet and realized I was a huge hypocrit. I do like clothes, colorful clothes. Clothes that say "LOVE LIFE!" Do it, now! Love your life and find the things in your life that are loveable. Sometimes we just have to look a little harder for them, that's all. I find joy clashing colors and patterns. Who made up the rule that certain designs and colors don't match? I say the more the merrier!


Well, I have decided to post some things I wrote while I was in Brazil for anyone who is interested. Enjoy!

No comments: